katiesbookblog

Katie's Book Blog!!

I'm a college student who loves reading. I will read pretty much anything but I do tend to choose YA most of the time!

Defying Hitler
K.A. Tucker
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
Chris Crutcher

Going Vintage

Going Vintage - I adore Lindsey Leavitt! I haven't read all of her books yet but after reading and loving Going Vintage, I'm definitely going to remedy that. Going Vintage is cute, fun, and a totally fresh story!I truly adore every character in Going Vintage, from Mallory's rather odd parents to Mallory's best friends. Every character in the story was well-developed and surprisingly all played a pretty big role. Not only does Going Vintage tell a story about a girl trying to get over a broken heart but it also tells a wonderful story about family. Mallory was rather quirky but she was a truly fun character to read about and readers will love her. She has her own style, she's not afraid to speak her mind, and she's beyond unique. She also has a great relationship with her family, even if it's strained at times. Her little sister, Ginnie, was hilarious. She agreed to help Mallory with her plan to go vintage and she took her job very seriously. Her antics cracked me up. Also, she was like a best friend to Mallory. They fought but it was so clear how much they cared about each other. Mallory definitely had her own friends and they were great but Ginnie was the best. Mallory's parents were also pretty funny. Their relationship was very unique. They fought quite a bit but they loved each other. They were kind of disgustingly cute at times. Above all else though they were there for their daughters and they were very involved in their lives. Oh and brief mention of the boys. Jeremy was as much a tool as the summary made him out to be. Oliver, on the other hand, was amazing. He was smart, funny, kind, and he truly didn't care what people thought of him. He did his own thing. I loved that he was such a different kind of guy than the normal love interest.The story is surprisingly fast-paced for a contemporary novel. I had a hard time putting down Going Vintage once I started it. It's full of characters you can't help but root for and you'll want to know if they get their happy endings. There wasn't a lot of action or suspense but that was okay. The story was cute, there were quite a few laugh out loud moments for me, and I was left with a satisfied feeling and a smile on my face. I got everything I could have possibly wanted from this book.Also, the whole idea behind Going Vintage made me think. Times really have changed and I loved seeing how Mallory tried to go back to simpler times. Cell phones, Facebook, Twitter, all the social networking sites these days, have made human interaction very sparse. Nobody talks on the phone these days, they text. If you want to know something about a person, you don't ask, you Google. Life is very impersonal nowadays. Seeing Mallory talk on the phone with Oliver was so different. They talked about everything and nothing. I can't remember the last time I did that! I really think Going Vintage will make people think about how technology is changing people. I don't know about you guys but I kinda want to call someone up on the phone now and just talk for hours!Overall, Going Vintage goes on the list of awesome contemporary novels. I can't recommend it enough. Go out and get this one as soon as possible!