katiesbookblog

Katie's Book Blog!!

I'm a college student who loves reading. I will read pretty much anything but I do tend to choose YA most of the time!

Defying Hitler
K.A. Tucker
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
Chris Crutcher

Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)

Elite (Eagle Elite, #1) - Rachel Van Dyken Elite by Rachel Van Dyken is one of those books that I really don't even know why I didn't DNF it. To be honest, I'm not sure why a traditional publisher picked up this originally self-pubbed title. Fair warning: this review might get ranty.Let's start with the thing that bothered me most about Elite: the romance. Well, not really the romance but the love interest. Sure Nixon sounds sexy as hell but he's a total ass! Since when is it okay to treat someone like shit and then say that you were doing it to help them? Oh and by the way, you think you might love them. No. That is not love. Nixon is a grade A asshole and I could not get past how mean he was to Trace. Oh and the secondary love interest, Chase, (because we really need a love triangle) isn't any better. He helps set her up to look like this huge slut after one of his friends drugs her. Umm, no. So not okay. I thought I'd read about bad love interests before but these two take the cake.Then there's Trace. Where do I even begin with her? She figures she can't win against Nixon and Chase and the rest of the Elect so she decides she might as well make fun of herself and maybe people will think she's cool. Yeah, that doesn't really work out for her. As if that's not bad enough, she is the biggest cry baby I've ever had the misfortune of reading about. Every little thing sets her off. And she's not one of those people who cries in private, she cries in front of everyone. Like that's really going to make people like her more. Oh and the main source of her crying fits, Nixon, just happens to be the guy that she can't stop thinking about. Of course.The story makes no sense. This 20 something year old guy runs the school? Even though he's not actually in charge of anything, everyone listens to him? Even the principal? How exactly does that work? It's kind of explained later but it still doesn't really make complete sense to me. Also, what kind of school lets their kids get away with this kind of bullying? There's also segregation (for the good of the students) and other stupid crap like that. I don't know about you guys, but I would leave that school ASAP.There's a lot more that I could rant and rave about but I'm going to try to wrap this up. The writing is crappy, the characters are annoying, the story makes no sense, and the romance did nothing for me. I truly wish I could get back the few hours I spent reading this book because it was a complete waste of my time.Overall, Elite is one book that should have remained self-published. This is one book that I highly recommend you don't waste your time or money on. Oh and as if one book isn't bad enough there is going to be at least one more in the series.