katiesbookblog

Katie's Book Blog!!

I'm a college student who loves reading. I will read pretty much anything but I do tend to choose YA most of the time!

Defying Hitler
K.A. Tucker
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
Chris Crutcher

The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West Kasie West is quickly becoming a new favorite author of mine. My love for her writing first started with Pivot Point but it's only grown after reading The Distance Between Us.Caymen is my kind of girl. She's sarcastic and has this really dry sense of humor that I totally get. She's kind of quiet and has some quirky friends. She always has this running commentary going on in her head and it's a lot like the one going on in mine. She's such an easy person to relate to that you'll be hooked from the start. Then there's Xander. He's not quite as easy to relate to but that won't stop you from loving him. He's got this awesome relationship with his grandma, he's a really nice person, and he and Caymen have chemistry! They're totally not right for each other but that is part of what makes them so great together. Xander brings out a vulnerable side of Caymen and she brings out an adventurous side of Xander. They're really good together. They're not the only characters though. Caymen's mom actually has a pretty big role in the book (yay for parents in YA!) and while I didn't totally love her, I could see that she was doing her best with Caymen and her shop. She hid some things from Caymen that she really shouldn't have but everyone has their flaws. Her relationship with Caymen wasn't perfect but it was far from bad.The story is nothing too spectacular but it's a fun read and it's not totally predictable which definitely made me enjoy it more. There were a few things that I truly never saw coming. I was flipping pages as fast as I could with this one. I was hoping beyond all hope that Caymen and Xander would get their happy ending, no matter what. I won't give anything away but I will say that I was satisfied with how things tied up.As for Kasie West's writing, I'm still really impressed with it. Pivot Point is so totally different from The Distance Between Us but Kasie's style of writing worked perfectly with both. It's nothing too elaborate but it works for the story and I really liked it.Overall, The Distance Between Us surpassed my expectations and I completely loved it. It's clear that Kasie's writing is perfect for any type of story and no matter what she writes in the future, I plan on checking it out.