katiesbookblog

Katie's Book Blog!!

I'm a college student who loves reading. I will read pretty much anything but I do tend to choose YA most of the time!

Defying Hitler
K.A. Tucker
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
Chris Crutcher

Wither (Chemical Garden)

Wither (Chemical Garden) - Lauren DeStefano Before I picked up Wither I was skeptical. There were so many fabulous reviews and I figured I would be the one person who hated it. Boy was I wrong. I completely agree with every amazing review and now I am going to attempt to write my own.Rhine Ellery never thought she would be one of the girls take by the Gatherers and sold into a polygamous marriage. She always thought she was too smart for them. She was wrong. Now she is trapped in a marriage that she does not want and the only way out may be with her death. That, or with the help of Gabriel, an attendant who doesn't remember what freedom was like but is willing to risk his life for a chance at it with Rhine.Wow! This book is so hard for me to review because of how mixed up I am about it right now (in a good way). I have never read anything like Wither and I was kind of disturbed but I pretty much just loved it. Lauren DeStefano went where a lot of other authors wouldn't dare and I applaud her for that. Wither was a beautiful story and I know I will be recommending this one to a lot of people.Rhine was one badass character. She is my new favorite heroine. She never gave up, no matter what. She was brave, funny, and SMART! I adored her. Her sister wives, Cecily and Jenna, weren't bad but they are nothing like Rhine. Jenna was very brave in her own way though and so was Cecily. Gabriel was so sweet and cute. I felt like he was only minor though because the story focused more on how Rhine didn't really need him to escape. She was strong enough to do everything on her own.Overall, Wither is fan-freaking-tastic. I can't possibly describe how amazing it is so you must go check it out for yourself!Disclaimer: Definitely only for older teens. Lots of mature content!!!